Repeated error messages in Console

Forum to share information about Phone Amego and get help to answer your questions

Repeated error messages in Console

Postby glaucon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:06 pm

I'm using an iMac intel with the latest update of snow leopard. When I try to set PA 1.2.15 to use my apple external usb modem for making and receiving calls, PA always has trouble finding the external modem until I plug and unplug it.

When I use my Google Voice account instead of the external usb modem, PA seems to work ok.

But in _both_ scenarios--google voice or usb--I get the same console error message, continually repeating every 9 seconds:

12/10/10 10:46:36 AM Phone Amego[14389] No remoteServer for request -startService terminate

Any suggestions?

Reed
glaucon

Re: Repeated error messages in Console

Postby psichel_adm » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:04 pm

But in _both_ scenarios--google voice or usb--I get the same console error message, continually repeating every 9 seconds:

12/10/10 10:46:36 AM Phone Amego[14389] No remoteServer for request -startService terminate

In general this message reports that Phone Amego is trying to issue a command to a previously defined remote service but there is no server available. Do you have Caller ID Sharing turned on under the "Sharing" tab? The message is harmless, but it does indicate the program is attempting to perform an operation that is not currently available.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby glaucon » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Wow Peter, I think that worked. Thanks.

Is it possible to use my gvoice or usbmodem to make a call using my iMac as both the (built in) microphone and speakerphone?

Reed
glaucon

Postby psichel_adm » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:47 pm

Is it possible to use my gvoice or usbmodem to make a call using my iMac as both the (built in) microphone and speakerphone?

USB modem is not currently supported. I'll need to find or develop a Core Audio driver that knows about USB modems.

Google Voice is a possibility. A few weeks ago Google began beta testing Gmail Chat which allows you to place a GV call directly from your Mac (no ring back). To use this, you'll need to install the Google voice audio plug-in and login to a Gmail account. Since Phone Amego uses a WebKit window to connect with Google Voice, I'm looking at writing some JavaScript to place calls using the Gmail Chat feature.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby glaucon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:33 am

psichel_adm wrote:
USB modem is not currently supported. I'll need to find or develop a Core Audio driver that knows about USB modems.

I'm a bit confused by this response. In fact for a while I hooked my landline into my apple external USB modem connected to my iMac desktop to make calls through Phone Amego. It often worked but the landline connection was often erratic and it wouldn't hang up properly. However using PA with one's landline connection does seem to be a PA option, but how else would one connect from PA directly to a landline except by a USB modem on an iMac?

In any case, I don't recall any supporting documentation clarifying all of these issues.

Best in the New Year,

Reed
glaucon

Postby psichel_adm » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:55 pm

I'm a bit confused by this response. In fact for a while I hooked my landline into my apple external USB modem connected to my iMac desktop to make calls through Phone Amego. It often worked but the landline connection was often erratic and it wouldn't hang up properly. However using PA with one's landline connection does seem to be a PA option, but how else would one connect from PA directly to a landline except by a USB modem on an iMac?

Sorry I mis-understood your question. Phone Amego works great for dialing a landline and caller ID. Just make sure you're not trying to do anything else with your USB modem. The Apple USB modem has occasional stability issues depending on what else you do with your system, but the controller based modems work well in my experience.

http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/telLandline.html

The question I was answering is whether you can use your Mac as a hands-free speakerphone with a landline. That's not currently supported, but I'm exploring some possibilities.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby glaucon » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:04 pm

psichel_adm wrote:
Sorry I mis-understood your question. Phone Amego works great for dialing a landline and caller ID. Just make sure you're not trying to do anything else with your USB modem. The Apple USB modem has occasional stability issues depending on what else you do with your system, but the controller based modems work well in my experience. Peter

Thanks Peter.

The main problem I've had is running Page Sender fax at the same time as PA using the Apple modem. PS won't work until I turn off PA. That is a pain btw.
Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure something out.

Best wishes,

Reed
glaucon

Postby psichel_adm » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:11 am

The main problem I've had is running Page Sender fax at the same time as PA using the Apple modem. PS won't work until I turn off PA. That is a pain btw. Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure something out.

If you just want to use Phone Amego for occasional dialing, there's an obvious solution, connect to the modem only for dialing. The conflict is that Phone Amego is normally monitoring your phone line to receive Caller ID. Since you can only have one application connected to the modem at a time, you need a way to tell Phone Amego to disconnect temporarily so you can send a fax, and then reconnect when the fax transmission has completed.

It should be possible to develop an AppleScript or macro to do this using Keyboard Maestro for example.

I'll look at allowing Phone Amego to dial calls when "Monitoring" is turned off to make this option more accessible. Just turn monitoring off temporarily.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Return to Phone Amego