Multiple Growl Notifications for calls

Forum to share information about Phone Amego and get help to answer your questions

Multiple Growl Notifications for calls

Postby MassMike » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:09 am

Hi,

Having been an Ascendis Caller ID user in the Windows world for a number of years, I was happy to finally find Phone Amego for the Mac after switching to the Mac a few years ago. I previously used Ascendis in a networked mode and it took a while for me to find a program which could do the same for the Mac. I've been using PA for a few months now and it meets my needs nicely.

I do have a question - Phone Amego appears to generate a Growl notification on each ring, both at the machine with the modem and on the remote networked machines. Can the software be configured not to do this? One Growl notification per incoming call would be enough for me. Plus, Growl's new roll-up notification system and alert history look cluttered with all these multiple alerts for the same call.

Thanks for reading this,
Mike
MassMike

Re: Multiple Growl Notifications for calls

Postby psichel_adm » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:13 am

Hi Mike,

Your observation is right on. Phone Amego issues a growl notification for each call event or status change to provide real-time indication of the call state. Phone Amego uses a feature of Growl called "coalescing" so that each subsequent notification overwrites the previous one. As long as coalescing is enabled in Growl, you should only see one notification on your screen that gets updated each time the call status changes. These notifications are "sticky" except for the final "idle" state so they stay around until you dismiss them. The "idle" notification is not sticky so it disappears after about 15-30 seconds. Growl is designed to be configurable so you should be able to control this from the Growl preferences.

In Growl 1.3.x (Mac App Store), they added a roll-up notification feature. I'm not sure whether the roll-up display handles notification coalescing. When I first tried Growl 1.3, I noticed it did not coalesce notifications. I reported this as a bug but don't know how it was resolved.

On my system, I have Growl set to use bubble notifications which coalesce correctly. If I'm away from my machine for more than a few minutes, it automatically switches over to the roll-up notification window so I can see a summary of notifications I missed when I return. I believe these are coalesced properly, but I haven't looked that closely.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Growl Notifications for calls

Postby MassMike » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will look into the coalescing setting to see if that helps.

Mike
MassMike

Return to Phone Amego