Distinctive Ring

Forum to share information about Phone Amego and get help to answer your questions

Distinctive Ring

Postby mhopper28038 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:10 pm

I have owned Amego for several years but never installed. Can it differentiate distinctive ring calls?
thanks
mhopper28038

Re: Distinctive Ring

Postby psichel_adm » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 pm

Most telephone devices do not report distinctive rings differently. What telephone device are you interested in?

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby mhopper28038 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:46 am

Quite right, most telephone devices don't but many "fax switches, fax machines and call routers do. I was hoping to assign VM responses by ring (really a different DID number) and, more importantly, select whether Amego would answer based on the ring pattern. If possible, that would open new uses for Amego for me in that it could respond to specific incoming "lines" and not others. e.g answer my GV numbers (forwarded to a distinctive ring number) but not my "regular" number calls. I suspect, however, that most functions of this type are handled by the modem before the software enters the call. if however, a modem signals a "ring," could the software not respond to a pattern?
thanks,
max
mhopper28038

Postby psichel_adm » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:29 am

If you are interested in using a USB modem or cell phone, this might work. The telephone device signals a "RING" formatted as an AT command. The standard pattern is 2 seconds on - 4 seconds off or approximately 6 seconds between rings. Detecting a simple pattern like 2 rings in quick succession would be fairly straight forward. As I recall, the Whozz Calling device can actually report distinctive rings directly.

Once a distinctive ring pattern is detected, how would you have Phone Amego represent that and respond?

In broad terms, my vision for Phone Amego is a minimalist UI and deep integration with popular phones. Adding features is easy. Simple is hard.

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Return to Phone Amego