Nortel Meridian phones

Forum to share information about Phone Amego and get help to answer your questions

Nortel Meridian phones

Postby hhojman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:23 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to connect (and dial) to the Nortel (Meridian) PBX phone system that we have at work. IT installed an extra analog phone jack in my office. However, although this jack has the same number than my digital line, technically it is a second line. I'm able to dial using Phone Amego but I can't pick up the call on the PBX phone.
Also, the caller ID does not work on the analog line.

The Meridian phones that we use have a slot to install an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) but IT does not have them. However, I can get them a Meridian phone on my own on Ebay.

My question are:
1. Is it possible to connect a Meridian PBX phone to Phone Amego?
2. If it is possible, what's the best phone to get?

Thanking you in advance,
H.
hhojman

Re: Nortel Meridian phones

Postby psichel_adm » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Good questions. I'm the developer of Phone Amego and will try to answer as best I can.

I don't have any experience with Nortel (Meridian) phones, so there is no device specific integration for Nortel at this time. That leaves a few possible alternatives:

(1) Find some kind of analog telephone adaptor so you an treat your phone (or line) as a standard analog phone line.

(2) If your phone is capable of working with Asterisk, Phone Amego can control it through the Asterisk Management Interface (AMI).

(3) If your Meridian PBX can work with standard SIP phones, there are several good choices that work with Phone Amego including phones from Polycom, Yealink, Snom, and Aastra. My favorite is Yealink for value and ease of use. Depending on your needs, a Yealink SIP-T22P might work well.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby hhojman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:59 pm

Peter,

I was hoping for a reply but not by the developer himself!
Good opportunity for me to tell you that Phone Amego is nothing short of awesome. :-)

I'm not sure if these phones are able to do voice over IP. My guess it would be no. I found the instruction manual online and there is no mention of VOIP. If the server is able to do it, I have no way to know and I can't imagine the IT folks helping me with this.

The back of the phone has connections for two type of devices:
1. Meridian Communications Adapter (MCA) "to connect to a personal computer or terminal. You can then use your telephone to exchange data between your computer and other computers"
2. Analog Terminal Adapter (ATA) "...to connect an analog device such as a modem or fax machine..."

The IT person told me that the operators have something like this on their phones (but didn't tell me which one). This allows the operators to call from the web page. But they would not install it on my phone.
I was hoping to get a Meridian phone online with the ATA and connect the Zoom modem to it. But I'm afraid that it would be be treated as a second line. Meaning that even if the modem can make the call (and this is a big if) I could not pick it up on the phone.

BTW, when dialing from the Meridian phone, I do not hear DTMF dial tones. I tried dialing by playing the DTMF tones, generated on a computer, through the handset microphone and it took me nowhere. This works on an analog phone. So I'm not sure that I could even use the modem through an ATA adapter.

You are probably asking why I don't use the analog line then? :-)
The analog line works, but there certain internal numbers (starting with #) that cannot be dialed form it. Also the intercom does not work.

Peter thank you very much for your response. And again, Phone Amego is excellent :-)
Horacio.
hhojman

Postby psichel_adm » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks for your note and kind remarks. I found this Wikipedia entry interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nortel_Meridian

It describes how Meridian devices interface to the PBX, so you would definitely need some kind of adaptor.

"Norstar Analog Adapters allow you to connect traditional household phones into your Norstar system", so this would be treated as a separate phone line. You would need to supply both the USB modem and analog telephone (and would likely lose access to some PBX features). These adaptors are available for under $40 on eBay.

Hope this helps.

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby hhojman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Thank you Peter. That's basically what I have now. As I mentioned on my first post, IT installed an extra analog telephone jack with the same number than my digital line. I can use one or the other but I can transfer calls from one to the other.

I just connected an analog phone to the analog line. The Zoom modem is connected to it too, so I can dial out from my computer and pick it up on the analog phone. So now I have two phones on my desk.

Caller ID does not work on the analog line but I think that probably it would not work with the ATA. I have to use the digital readout on the digital phone. Not as nice as Phone Amego on the computer screen but...

Again, thank you very much,
Horacio.
hhojman

Postby psichel_adm » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:26 am

Caller ID does not work on the analog line but I think that probably it would not work with the ATA. I have to use the digital readout on the digital phone.

That's disappointing. Presumably the Meridian ATA doesn't translate Caller ID to the analog line. I wonder if there might be a newer version of this ATA. A Google Search turned up this, but there's no indication it handles Caller ID.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nortel-Norstar- ... 0450704286

I couldn't find a more detailed description.

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Return to Phone Amego