Screen flashes

Forum to share information about Keyclick and get help to answer your questions

Screen flashes

Postby PedroFromAus » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:56 am

I love KeyClick, and am a registered user, but have a problem: Occasionally my MacBook screen will flash when I enter a keystroke or use the trackpad. Once it starts, the only way to stop it is to reboot, or disable KeyClick (I found that fix by a process of elimination). I've stopped using KeyClick for the past two weeks and the problem has not recurred. I know there is an alternative application, but I'd rather stay with KeyClick. Any ideas, anyone?

Many thanks!
PedroFromAus

Re: Screen flashes

Postby dchadwick » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:16 pm

There is an Accessiblity feature that flashes your screen when alerts sound (for people with hearing difficulties). What you're describing sounds a lot like that. Possible it's being triggered somehow, maybe by a key combination? I'd check the Accessibility panel in System Preferences first.
dchadwick

Postby PedroFromAus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:25 am

Great suggestion - and that is exactly the flash that occurs (I tried the "test screen flash" button, and it duplicates it exactly), but that option is not turned on in Accessibility. It certainly looks like there is some kind of connection there, though... Hmmmm... Any other clues? It's not recurred once since I stopped using KeyClick.
PedroFromAus

Postby ibeatty » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:22 am

I get that too! I never saw it on my prior machines, but it's been happening intermittently ever since I moved to a MacBook Pro 13" (Retina display) back in November. OS X 10.8.2, KeyClick 1.3.4. I've checked the Accessibility settings, and screen flash is in fact off.

Recently, I've been noticing other problems with KeyClick. Yesterday, every time I put the laptop to sleep and then awakened it, keyclicks would be played at full-loud volume, although the click volume in the KeyClick preferences panel and the overall system volume were unchanged. Bumping the KeyClick volume to a different setting and then back solved the problem, until next time.

Today, KeyClick is making no sound whatsoever, despite being turned on, not muted, volume up, etc. Nothing I twiddle in its preferences panel changes that, and I've got too many documents open to reboot right now.

BTW, I'm aware of the fact that some applications (like 1Password and Chrome) like to get "stuck" in secure input mode and block out KeyClick. It's an annoying problem that often bugs me, but that's not what's going on here.

UPDATE: I've discovered that at least today, I can't get my system to make *any* alert sounds at all, though other sounds play properly. So perhaps this silence is not a KeyClick problem after all. (The other problems, though… ?)
ibeatty

Postby ibeatty » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:35 am

Looks like restarting coreaudio with "sudo killall coreaudiod" in the terminal restored my alert sounds. See http://blog.erikphansen.com/weird-os-10 ... -problems/ -- according to that page, the screen flashing is a symptom (sometimes??) of the system's inability to play a sound.
ibeatty

Postby AMurrayNash » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:46 am

I guess you could say it's to verify that a key was pressed… It just feels very strange to have Keyclick turned on, but then to hit "shift" and not hear anything. I don't use the typewriter sound and am not trying to pretend that I'm typing at a typewriter – I'm more emulating the experience of a mechanical keyboard (because I can't justify the expense of a Matias;) After all, the arrow keys and escape don't wouldn't make anything hit the paper on a typewriter either
imran
AMurrayNash

Postby psichel_adm » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:26 pm

Keyclick follows the old video terminal convention of clicking when the terminal sends a keystroke to the host. Pressing and release Shift normally have no effect. I don't presently see a strong reason to change that behavior.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Return to Keyclick