Keyclick Server asking permission every startup

Forum to share information about Keyclick and get help to answer your questions

Keyclick Server asking permission every startup

Postby dchadwick » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:43 pm

This is kind of weird. Every time I restart my laptop, I get this message. Using Mountain Lion, and I have Gatekeeper set to allow apps from "Anywhere". Not sure what else it could be...
dchadwick

Re: Keyclick Server asking permission every startup

Postby psichel_adm » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:53 am

When you download a file from the Internet, Mac OS X marks it as "quarantine".  If you later try to run that file, it warns you the file was downloaded from the Internet to protect you from mistakenly executing code you downloaded from the Internet that may have been disguised to look like something else. When you say it's OK to run that file, Mac OS X removes the Quarantine marker so it doesn't ask you again.  All of this has nothing to do with Keyclick.

My suggestion is to do a "Show Contents" on the Keyclick preference pane and manually launch the KeyclickServer application inside it from the Finder.  When the system warns you that this application was downloaded from the Internet, click OK to let launching from the Finder remove the Quarantine marker.

I'm not sure why this suddenly became an issue on Mountain Lion.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby dchadwick » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Oddly, my Mac Mini (also on Mountain Lion) never pops up this dialog for Keyclick. So it might be something about my Air — hopefully this will fix it though.
dchadwick

Postby psichel_adm » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:11 pm

Another trick is to turn off Gatekeeper temporarily, install and run the app, and then turn it back on. It might be some interaction with GateKeeper.
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby dchadwick » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Hmm, not much luck. I have Gatekeeper set to its least restrictive setting, so that's all I can do there short of disabling it completely.

I found Keyclick server.app by showing the contents of Library/PreferencePanes/Keyclick.prefPane.

– First, I launched it manually from the Finder but nothing happened because I guess it was already running.

– Then I restarted, denied it permission to launch when that Gatekeep dialog came up, and tried again launching it manually. Restarted again, and saw the same warning, so I was back to square one.

– I tried some of the steps here: http://mactips.dwhoard.com/mactips/syst ... quarantine but nothing there really worked either. I haven't gone so far as to issue the Terminal command to shut Gatekeeper down completely, though.

Anyway, who knows — probably a lot less trouble to just click Open on that dialog each time I restart.
dchadwick

Postby psichel_adm » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:49 pm

I don't recommend turning off GateKeeper, but what about removing the Quarantine marker manually as follows:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /PATH/TO/APPLICATION

I think path to application in this case might the path to the executable inside the Mac OS X application bundle.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby jackjacki » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:23 am

It sounds like something broke in 10.8 related to sleep and Keyclick sounds. I can investigate, but the behavior is not consistent. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
jackjacki

Postby psichel_adm » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:34 am

Can you say more about what you are seeing? Keyclick detects system sleep and reloads it's sounds when the system awakes.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Return to Keyclick