Turn off bell sound?

Forum to share information about Keyclick and get help to answer your questions

Turn off bell sound?

Postby keyman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:59 am

Hello. I installed Keyclick the other day on my iMac OS X 10.9.4 and all is well, I use the Typewriter sound option. I actually still type on a typewriter from time to time because I like the rhythm of the keys sound as I'm convinced it contributes to staying focused on what I'm writing. Ages ago I worked on a major newspaper before word processors and an editor advised not to look at the paper in the typewriter while writing as it distracts from thinking ahead but to focus on a plane above the page and just type/write. The keyboard sound contributed to that.

Anyway, still writing but late at night. My wife also enjoys hearing the keyboard rhythm but one thing we'd like is ability to mute the Return key. No bell ring (or similar sound) or even a step further if possible, no carriage return sound. In fact I removed the bell cap on my manual typewriter to mute the bell. I was wondering if it is possible to tweak Keyclick so there is no bell sound when hitting Return? That would be great!

Thank you for this program, it's very functional and rather addicting. :)

Regards,
Bob
Los Angeles
keyman

Re: Turn off bell sound?

Postby keyman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:03 am

I might have solved my question via some info in another thread. I don't know if this is kosher but it seems to work without breaking anything. Drilling down in Finder and 'Show Package Contents' via:

System (my name) > Library > PreferencePanes > Keyclick.prefPane > SharedSupport > KeyclickServer

then Show Package Contents again and get:

Resources > Sounds_t1

I get quite the number of .aif files. Of specific interest are the typewriterenter-nn.aif where nn is the number apropos the Keyclick volume. So I replaced those by renaming some stock .aif sound effect files (copying the originals to separate folder elsewhere for safe keeping) with the same name and sure enough, it seems to work. I don't get the bell and carriage return swish sound but instead get my replacement .aif sound effects. Cool. Perhaps I'll make a soundless .aif file to test that as it should mute the Return/Enter key altogether, I think. :)

Bob
Los Angeles
keyman

Postby psichel_adm » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:04 am

Your solution is perfect. You can customize the underlying sound files the program uses just as you describe.

The only possible concern is breaking the code signing on newer versions of the OS. Under 10.9, it is no longer possible to build applications with unsigned sub-components, so it may be necessary to launch the underlying Keyclick Server explicitly once or re-sign it if I ever ship an updated build.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby keyman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:13 am

Thanks, it's working great. Off topic but have to say the Exclude/Include option is brilliant. I primarily enjoy the typing sound while writing at length, not while doing some other things like surfing (web browser), searching (Finder), and so on. It's a terrific feature!

Bob
Los Angeles
keyman

Postby psichel_adm » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:33 pm

Thanks! - Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby vastonsmith » Thu May 21, 2015 12:46 am

Sorry I didn't notice this post before (I normally notice when the last person to post changes on the forum summary). The behavior you describe is described in some detail in the Keyclick User's guide (the audio hardware sleeps) and has been fixed in recent versions (which deliberately play a silent sound at regular intervals to keep the audio subsystem awake).
vastonsmith

Return to Keyclick