custom sounds

Forum to share information about Keyclick and get help to answer your questions

custom sounds

Postby dchadwick » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:01 pm

Is there any place I could put a sound of my own choosing to be added to Keyclick's repertoire? I've got some I'd really love to swap in.

If necessary, I'd be OK with replacing existing sound files with mine, but renaming them to match. Tried "show package contents" on the Keyclick pref pane itself, but didn't see any sounds there.
dchadwick

Re: custom sounds

Postby psichel_adm » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:46 pm

There is a way you can manually load your own sounds into the program by deconstructing it.

Select the Keyclick.prefpane in the finder and then right click (or control click) to select "Show Package Contents". Drill down to:
Keyclick.prefpane/Contents/Resources/KeyclickServer.app

Do another "Show Package Contents" on this to:
KeyclickServer.app/Contents/Resources/Sounds_t1

This is the folder containing the typewriter sounds. They are standard aiff sound files, saved at 9 different volume settings for each sound.

By replacing one or more of these files, you can have the corresponding sounds used instead of the ones provided. Based on the current volume setting, the keyclick server pre-loads the corresponding sound file into memory so it can play it as an alert sound with minimal overhead. The sounds are organized as follows:

Sounds_f1 through Sounds_f6 "Click Key Sound" at 6 different pitches
Sounds_k1 "Keyboard Sound"
Sounds_m1 "Mouse Click"
Sounds_m2 "Simple Click"
Sounds_t1 "Typewriter Sounds"

Part of the appeal of Keyclick is its simplicity and low overhead. Individual key sounds are not fully programmable from the user interface.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby dchadwick » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Thanks for the reply. That worked just fine. I was able to create AIFFs of varying volume and put them in place, using the same naming scheme to replace the "typewriter" sounds with the ones I wanted to use.

One note: the Keyclickserver.app was inside MacOS, not Resources. But I found it and it all went quite well.

I guess I could find this out by trial and error, but are stereo sounds OK? I think I can keep them under 8kb.
dchadwick

Postby dchadwick » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:53 pm

By the way (and somewhat off-topic), the Mac application "Ommwriter" has some pretty great and unusual keyboard sounds. It's a neat writing environment in general.
dchadwick

Postby hasseb1 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:58 am

If necessary, I'd be OK with replacing existing sound files with mine, but renaming them to match. Tried "show package contents" on the Keyclick pref pane itself, but didn't see any sounds there.
We provide guarantee to pass cvoice gmat with online exam training itil and you can also get best quality ccna wireless pdf - pass-4sure mcat along with network plus study guide mcat for your guaranteed success.
hasseb1

Postby psichel_adm » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:21 pm

You have to keep drilling down until you find the Sounds folder inside the KeyclickServer.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Return to Keyclick