DHCP test

Forum to share information about IPNetMonitorX and get help to answer your questions

DHCP test

Postby UKenGB » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:38 am

Trying to test IPNMX's DHCP capabilities, but it doesn't seem to be doing what I expect.

I'm just trying to get IPNMX to show me all the data that can be returned from a DHCP server, i.e. with ALL the options that have been specified. But an INFORM test returns nothing helpful. If e.g. I ask for option 3, it just responds with:-

OptionParameterList
3 OptionRouters

which rather looks to me like IPNMX has not actually received any response from the server, but which DID actually send an ACK response, even though IPNMX just shows a red cross in the Ack column.

This is a crucial requirement for me. I need IPNMX to query the server and let me know ALL the data it can provide so I can tell if the DHCP server (actually bootpd in OSX Server) is delivering what it should. So what do I need to do to make it see the server's ACK response and how can I get it to report ALL option data and not just those I specifically request in the 'Option List' field?
UKenGB

Re: DHCP test

Postby UKenGB » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:02 pm

I'm still getting nowhere with this. The 'result' displayed by IPNMX only contains information entered above to be part of the INFORM message. None of the other data that I would expect the server to send in the ACK is being shown and the big red cross in the Ack column seems to indicate hte ACK is not actually being received.

It looks to me like the data that is entered to create the test is simply written into the response/reply display by IPNMX, even when no response is actually received from the server which is kinda confusing. Whatever, the fact remains IPNMX is not seeing any ACK, even though the server definitely IS sending an ACK (reported in the logs).

All of which means IPNMX is currently useless at testing DHCP for me. Anyone suggest why it's not getting the ACK?
UKenGB

Re: DHCP test

Postby psichel_adm » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:12 pm

This will take some work to investigate.

If you enable verbose logging, IPNMx should log everything it receives from the remote server.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Return to IPNetMonitorX