Phone Amego with iPhone in Germany

Forum to share information about Phone Amego and get help to answer your questions

Phone Amego with iPhone in Germany

Postby Alfred » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi from Germany,
I just installed the trial and it works in so far as the program dials the iPhone from address book, but than its a little mystery: on my iPhone I can hear the ringing sound, but on the other side (my wife's iPhone for testing) is no ringtone to hear and no activity on the screen!? After a while the voice box is connecting.
A second try on my home (landline) number. This time the voice tells me: "The number you have called is not assigned".
If I call direct from the iPhone address book it works fine, so I'm sure the numbers are correct!

Is there something special I have to register for Germany?

Thanks for your suggests,
Alf

EDIT:
Got it fixed! It was a mistake in the country code, I used it twice...
But it's mysterious, why is the ring tone at my phone, but no ringing at the phone of my wife, and at the end the correct mailbox is connected???
Alfred

Re: Phone Amego with iPhone in Germany

Postby psichel_adm » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:50 am

Thanks for the update. It did sound like an issue with how the "Dialing Options" are configured:

http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/dialingOptions.html

If you open the "Phone Amego / Debug Log" (under the "More" tab), you can see how Phone Amego translates the phone number stored in your Address Book to a dial string based on the settings you have selected for your location.

I'd welcome any suggestions to make this easier. Unfortunately, just using the number as stored in the users Address Book doesn't work in many cases because some users don't store numbers in international format beginning with "+", and the rules are different for cell phones versus landlines.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby Alfred » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:26 am

Thanks for your reply, Peter!

The dialed number is displayed this way: 491-234-567-8910 like used at US.
The way for Germany is 49-123-456 78910, 49 is for Germany, 123 cell phone numbers have 3 digits, landline have two or more digits
Is it possible to change the way of displaying to German habits?

I'm looking forward to integrate phone amego to contactizer!
Alfred

Postby psichel_adm » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:33 am

The way for Germany is 49-123-456 78910, 49 is for Germany, 123 cell phone numbers have 3 digits, landline have two or more digits. Is it possible to change the way of displaying to German habits?

Phone Amego tries to use the closest matching format defined in your Address Book. I've written more about this here:

http://askpeter4phoneamego.wordpress.com/2010/10/19/formatting-international-phone-numbers-in-apples-address-book/

Do you have a matching format defined for your Address Book that Phone Amego is failing to recognize?

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby Alfred » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Most of my contacts have the correct number, dialing works fine now, thanks.

Just the incoming numbers are displayed the for Germany "wrong" way.... so known number looks strange for me...
Alfred

Postby psichel_adm » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:19 am

Most of my contacts have the correct number, dialing works fine now, thanks.

Just the incoming numbers are displayed the for Germany "wrong" way.... so known number looks strange for me...

I'd love to resolve this. Can you Email me the Address Book format you want these numbers displayed with and a snippet from the Phone Amego log showing an example of a number you received that was not displayed correctly? You can Email me directly at psichel "at" sustworks "dot" com.

Thanks!

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby LordKnuth » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:57 am

When my iPhone receives a call it does somethimes not ring when the phone is connected with Amego. But it is not a problem for me the notification on the screen is fine for me. Maybe your iPhone is automatically in a headset profile without ring tone.
LordKnuth

Postby psichel_adm » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:52 pm

When my iPhone receives a call it does somethimes not ring when the phone is connected with Amego.

That would appear to be a function of the iPhone itself. I could have Phone Amego play a ring tone or alert sound.

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby Alfred » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:14 pm

From my side the mistake was that I used +49 (prefix for Germany) in my address book AND in phone amego! After I deleted the doubled +49 all works fine!

@ Peter
Many thanks! I received the updated program with the correct digits for Germany you mailed to me and it seems it works correct! But I received just two calls today, so I will test it further on.

I have another inspiration for you:
Each call will be recorded to the history as long as I'm close enough to my mac!
It would be a great feature, when the calls I receive or do while I'm out, be later automatic downloaded and added to the history, so no call is missed!
I don't know if that is possible to add, but it would save the time I use to download the complete history in PhoneView...
Alfred

Postby psichel_adm » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:06 am

As far as I know, there is no way to download the call history from an iPhone via Bluetooth. The only way to get this is to synch your iPhone with your computer via iTunes, and then extract the call history from the backup file that iTunes creates. To search this history to fill in log entries Phone Amego didn't see would be tricky. As a user, do you expect Phone Amego log what it does, or log what your iPhone did the next time it synchs with your computer?

Phone Amego's iCal logging feature provides a nice way to visualize calls, so it would be convenient if it included all of them. It's something to think about.

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Next

Return to Phone Amego