No sound for Shift and CapslocK.

Forum to share information about Keyclick and get help to answer your questions

No sound for Shift and CapslocK.

Postby polocanada » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:24 pm

No sound for Shift or Capslock?
Would be useful. I downloaded the app for that.
Looks like I will end up looking for some script instead.
Thanks.
polocanada

Re: No sound for Shift and CapslocK.

Postby Patrick Linehan » Wed May 08, 2013 12:45 pm

I'd like to see this as well, as a beginning touch typist it would be very useful.
Patrick Linehan

Postby psichel_adm » Wed May 08, 2013 1:54 pm

In normal use, Shift and CapsLock are modifier keys and do not actually send a keystroke to applications.
By analogy, when using an old fashion typewriter, these keys do not strike the paper.

I'm curious why you want to hear a click for them?
Is it just to confirm a key was pressed?
Notice you can use "Modifier Key Tones" to play a subtly different keyclick sound for modified key strokes.

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby henry » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:52 pm

I'd also love to have modifier keys and function keys make sound!

I guess you could say it's to verify that a key was pressed… It just feels very strange to have Keyclick turned on, but then to hit "shift" and not hear anything. I don't use the typewriter sound and am not trying to pretend that I'm typing at a typewriter – I'm more emulating the experience of a mechanical keyboard (because I can't justify the expense of a Matias;) After all, the arrow keys and escape don't wouldn't make anything hit the paper on a typewriter either

On my mbp's keyboard, the keys in question are fn, control, option, command, caps, shift, and everything on the fkey row except for escape, mission control/f3, and launchpad/f4 (and of course the vol- and vol+, which I guess shouldn't have a sound)

On my wired apple keyboard (w/ number pad) the fkey row makes sounds except for f7, f8, f9, and eject.

I understand if the way OSX identifies keystrokes makes this an unreasonable request, but it'd sure be great.

p.s. Modifier key sounds can now only be turned on by turning on sticky modifiers
henry

Postby psichel_adm » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:39 pm

Keyclick intercepts keystrokes just before they are passed to the active window or application. This allows it to exclude certain applications which is very convenient, but also prevents it from seeing keystrokes that are not normally available to applications.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby waleed333 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:48 am

I guess you could say it's to verify that a key was pressed… It just feels very strange to have Keyclick turned on, but then to hit "shift" and not hear anything. I don't use the typewriter sound and am not trying to pretend that I'm typing at a typewriter – I'm more emulating the experience of a mechanical keyboard (because I can't justify the expense of a Matias;) After all, the arrow keys and escape don't wouldn't make anything hit the paper on a typewriter either
Our Actual Exams and Testking phr classes gre exam provide Testking what is six sigma you 100% pass guarantee. You can get access to and exams. Our Pittsburg State University is also very useful tool.
waleed333

Postby psichel_adm » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks for your input. By tradition dating back to the VT100, Keyclick only generates clicks for keys that send Keystrokes.
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Return to Keyclick