Welcome

Forum to share information about Keyclick and get help to answer your questions

Welcome

Postby psichel_adm » Tue May 04, 2010 12:20 am

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm the developer of Keyclick. I created this format to share information and answer question about Keyclick. I welcome your constructive comments, questions, and suggestions to improve Keyclick or assist other users.

Enjoy!

- Peter Sichel
Sustainable Softworks
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Re: Welcome

Postby Persia » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi Peter,

No biggie, but I do have a question. Sometimes keyclick simply stops working and the keys seem to tighten or tense under my fingers. A strange way of putting it, I know. But not only does the sound disappear, but the keys themselves seem "upset." The only solution I've found is to go to the preference pane, turn Keyclick off, then back on again and/or go to Options and change the sound. Then the app comes back on again.

I'm working on a MacBook Pro, by the way, with 10.5.8.

Has anyone else reported this ... oddity?

Regards,

Persia
Persia

Postby psichel_adm » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:57 am

There is a bug in Apple's Alert Sound playback system in 10.5.x .  The bug is timing sensitive and causes a previously loaded sound file to no longer play.  Other sound files that were loaded at the same time continue to work as before. The bug almost never happens when using click key sounds, but happens from time-to-time with typewriter sounds and faster typists.  It seems to be more frequent on slower systems or when running from battery.

I filed a bug with Apple many months ago, and they responded it would be fixed in Snow Leopard.  There have been no such reports from users running 10.6, so I believe the bug is fixed.

One other trick that may help you is that you don't need to visit the Pref Pane to fix the problem.  Just change the Keyclick volume setting which will cause a different sound file to be loaded (you can even do this from the keyboard directly).  Each volume setting using a different sound file, and reloading the sound file in question fixes the problem.

I hope you find this helpful and wish I had a better answer.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby toml » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:09 pm

A simple problem that is merely annoying. I recently installed Keyclick on a new Macbook Pro I bought to replace my old Powerbook and I set Keyclick to run on login. I am running the latest version of Lion.

Now I am presented each time on boot up with the dialog box warning that the application was loaded from the Internet and giving me the usual three options.

Is there some way to make this dialog box quit appearing? It doesn't interfere with the actual operation of Keyclick, but it is a minor annoyance.
toml

Postby psichel_adm » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:07 am

When you download an application, Mac OS X places it in "Quarantine" until you authorize it. This is intended to prevent you from accidentally downloading and trying to view something disguised as a graphic when it actually runs some malware.

Once you click yes that you are sure you want to open it, Mac OS X should remove the Quarantine.  Keyclick has no control over this.  Never-the-less, Mac OS X can sometimes get confused if the file system is slightly inconsistent.  Here's what I suggest:

Go to System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items and remove any login items for the KeyclickServer.  Then launch the Keyclick Preference pane and re-enable Keyclick as needed.  I changed the way Keyclick installs a login item, so this might remove the previous version.

Run a disk utility like Disk Warrior or Apple's Disk First Aid to repair the file system on your hard drive.
Try restarting your computer again.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby zohaa » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:23 am

I guess this forum isn't being monitored by developers.

Last edited by zohaa on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
zohaa

Postby psichel_adm » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:44 pm

I'm the developer of Keyclick and to monitor from time-to-time. Were you thinking of something in particular?
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Return to Keyclick