Setting up IPNetMonitorX

Forum to share information about IPNetMonitorX and get help to answer your questions

Setting up IPNetMonitorX

Postby shadowfax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:01 pm

I've read the docs but have a question on basic install...

We are setting up a machine with dual nic cards to go between the "drop" cable from the building network and our managed switch to run IPNetMonitorX.

Once the machine is hooked up, will it automatically re-route the connections from one nic card to the other, or does IPNetMonitorX have to be running? If it does need to be running, what is the basic configuration to get it to work before doing more configurations?

I basically want to get the setup working (for obvious reasons) before going into IPNetMonitor and doing any sort of configuration changes. I can't afford to bring the network down for any length of time :-)

Thanks for any help!

James
shadowfax

Re: Setting up IPNetMonitorX

Postby psichel_adm » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm

>We are setting up a machine with dual nic cards to go between the "drop" cable from the building network and our managed switch to run IPNetMonitorX.

I'm having a little trouble following what you are asking. IPNetMonitorX is for probing or monitoring network status. The Server Scan tool can be configured to provide automated failover to another network location in Network Preferences which could specify a different primary interface.

>Once the machine is hooked up, will it automatically re-route the connections from one nic card to the other, or does IPNetMonitorX have to be running? If it does need to be running, what is the basic configuration to get it to work before doing more configurations?

Do you really mean IPNetMonitorX, or IPNetRouterX? Please say more about what you are trying to have the software do. In general, IPNetRouterX does need to be running to manage the Network Kernel Extension (NKE).

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby shadowfax » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:50 am

Sorry- I've been up far too long...

I need to set a machine up in front of our switch to monitor all traffic and pass it through to our switch.
The machine has 2 nic cards with separate public IP addresses.
One card connects to the "drop" ethernet cable from the buildings router.
The other connects to our switch (which connects the servers, all using public IP addresses).

Just"connecting" the machine with no software running does nothing (no traffic is sent to the switch).

So, first: get the machine (2 nics) to "pass through" the traffic to the switch.
secondly, monitor the traffic to see what is causing the problems.
third, set up a firewall.

James
shadowfax

Postby psichel_adm » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:02 pm

You can use the Ethernet Bridging feature in IPNetRouterX to pass traffic between your two NICs.
Then use Traffic Discovery to monitor and examine the traffic on the link.

http://sustworks.com/site/prod_ipnrx_he ... yHelp.html

Since Traffic Discovery can collect a huge amount of data, I wouldn't recommend running it indefinitely. Try it and see how it works for you.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby shadowfax » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:56 am

Thanks Peter-

I feel like an idiot - all I've been doing is reading about this. I wasn't sure if it was something that I needed to set or something that was automatically set (That's why I had IPNetRouterX running as well as IPNetMonitorX :-).

Now I'm on the right track.

Just out of curiosity, Is "Internet Sharing" in system preferences the same thing. Count I have used it instead? If so, is it robust enough?

I'm going to use the bridging feature in IPNetMonitorX, I was just curious about Internet sharing :-)

Thank you for the help!
shadowfax

Postby shadowfax » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:19 am

Sorry- I have been up way too long-

I just read why IPNetRouterX is better than using "internet sharing".

James
shadowfax

Postby psichel_adm » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:47 am

Apple's built-in Internet sharing can be used to pass data from one network interface to another, but it's not as efficient as IPNetRouterX, nor does it provide any monitoring or live adjustment. Apple's built-in Internet sharing uses UNIX natd and ipfw. To set a port mapping, you could resort to the UNIX command line, but you would lose any active TCP connections each time you made an adjustment. Also, since each packet requires a kernel-to-client-address-space round trip, the overhead is significantly higher.

The alternative to IPNetRouterX isn't so much Apple's built-in Internet sharing (which is pretty limited), but the myriad of under $100 NAT routers you can find at Best Buy or online that are good enough. The focus of innovation has moved beyond Firewall NAT Routers in terms of what most SOHO users need.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby dieting » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:25 am

The machine has 2 nic cards with separate public IP addresses. One card connects to the "drop" ethernet cable from the buildings router. The other connects to our switch (which connects the servers, all using public IP addresses).??
Our excellent online Testking what is togaf certification training programs will Testking mcse course lead you to success in the We also offer latest passguide and with 100% success guarantee. Our ptsem dumps muih.edu is rare in IT world.
dieting

Postby psichel_adm » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:05 am

Do you have a question about setting up IPNetRouterX?
If so, you should be aware that IPNetRouterX is End-of-Life.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Return to IPNetMonitorX