Some Features don't work with gVoice

Forum to share information about Phone Amego and get help to answer your questions

Problems with Google Voice

Postby houchin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:33 am

Hi,

I'm trying out Phone Amego with my Google Voice account and I cannot get it to work. I am using PE 1.2.1 and am connecting to the internet through a proxy. I was able to successfully configure PE to use my GV account, and it correctly acquired my ring numbers. However, when I try to make a call, it doesn't work. Here's what's in the PE log, with numbers redacted. Note that nowhere in the log was mention of the number to ring (all references were the number to dial). The status window came up with "Call status?" but then nothing happened, and there's no mention in my call history on the Google Voice website.

2010-06-04 08:53:18 Phone Amego version 1.2.1
2010-06-04 08:53:18 [Monitoring off]
[Request to dial: xxx-xxx-xxxx]
2010-06-04 08:53:28 [Run script will_dial (n)]
[TelNumber: xxx-xxx-xxxx converted to DialString: xxxxxxxxxx]
[Contacting Google Voice]
[Connection established]
[Logged in]
[TelNumber: xxxxxxxxxx converted to DialString: xxxxxxxxx]
[Request call]
[Call status?]
houchin

Re: Problems with Google Voice

Postby psichel_adm » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:02 pm

[Call status?] indicates Phone Amego did not recognize the status result returned by Google Voice.

I see two possibilities here:

(1) Google has changed the way call status is reported and is rolling out a new version of Google Voice.

(2) Google Voice has decided to verify you are a human placing a call by display a captcha or secondary login screen.

If Phone Amego sometimes fails when logging in to your Google Voice account, please unlock the"captcha" for your account at the following URL <https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha>. Google Voice may sometimes present a captcha or secondary login to verify an actual user is trying to access your account.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby houchin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:01 pm

I had already tried the captcha (saw that in the FAQs). I have installed PE on my home computer as well, and I'm seeing the same problem. That one is not behind a proxy.

Both are 10.5.8, one is a MacBook Pro, the other is a PowerMac G5.
houchin

Postby psichel_adm » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Okay, the next step is to press and hold control while you initiate a call. This will cause Phone Amego to display the WebKit window it uses to communicate with Google Voice and should give us a clue. You can Email me a snapshot of the resulting window directly.

Another possibility is that certain Google Voice calls are not allowed. You can't call your own Google Voice number or a number-to-ring from the device with that number.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby houchin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:36 pm

I'm trying to call my own mobile phone from my home phone. If I go to GV in Safari and initiate the call from there, it works fine.

So to follow your instructions, I select "Call..." from the PE menu, enter the number to call, and then hold down the control key before hitting the dial button (and then keep it held down). A window opens, momentarily showing the GV inbox screen but then quickly going to the login screen. I log in, but am then presented with an an error that I do not have cookies enabled.
houchin

Postby psichel_adm » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:00 am

> I log in, but am then presented with an an error that I do not have cookies enabled.

That tells me Google Voice is not seeing some web Cookie as expected. Since I can't reproduce this and don't have other reports to correlate it with, my suggestion is to clear out any old browser cookies related to "google.com" and try again.

What happens if you press and hold Control while hitting the "Login" button from the Google Voice setup sheet? Do you still see this error?

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby houchin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Cleared out all the cookies, did the captcha thing again. Can view GV fine from Safari.

You can't hold down control while hitting the login button, as the webkit view sees it as a right-click, so I get a back/reload popup. But now, instead of a cookie error, I got a plain "Error 403 Forbidden" message with no other content, but then when I retried it it was back to the cookie error.

The only Safari extensions I know I have installed are Glims and ClickToFlash. I tried uninstalling both, quit both Safari and PE, opened PE back up, but still the cookie error. Is there any other logging available? I'm at home in the terminal if there's something I can try there.
houchin

Postby psichel_adm » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:25 pm

>You can't hold down control while hitting the login button, as the webkit view sees it as a right-click

I meant the "Login" button in the Phone Amego window, main tab, Google Voice Setup sheet.
Phone Amego has a debug log you can show under the More tab (I think you already found this).
You can also check the "system.log" using Apple's console.app

"Forbidden" may indicate a password problem. That's why I want to verify your login credentials succeeded. Does your login name include a "@domain" string?

Sometimes just waiting a day allows the problem to clear up. It's hard for me to say what's wrong since I can't reproduce it.

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby houchin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:35 pm

When I hold control with the Login button on the GV setup window, it takes me straight to my GV inbox; no additional login needed.

Yes, my login includes a domain (I use Google Apps standard for mail for my domain, so my Google address is a non-gmail address).

Nothing is showing up in system.log. I opened the log, inserted a time marker, then tried to initiate a call. Same result, no log entry.
houchin

Postby psichel_adm » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:49 pm

I'm at WWDC this week, so I'll need a little time to investigate. I'm guessing the request call API is looking for a cookie it's not seeing, but no one else has reported this yet.

One other trick is to try logging out of Google Voice explicitly so Phone Amego can log you in again.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
(Moscone West at WWDC)
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Next

Return to Phone Amego