Wish: an improved Call Log

Forum to share information about Phone Amego and get help to answer your questions

Wish: an improved Call Log

Postby Ward » Wed May 04, 2011 3:16 pm

Phone Amego provides two logs, each with strengths and weaknesses:

iCal Calendars

Phone Amego's two iCal calendars (received & dialed) are great for the first dozen calls. After that, the list of calls overflows the day cell in my Month layout. I switched to the Day layout (which I never use) expecting to see the full list, but iCal's UI is seriously broken, especially for Phone Amego's single line entries -- dark colored text is barely readable on the lighter same-color background, and several calls in quick success overlap, making them unreadable.

Searching iCal for all calls to and from specific person is also great.

Call Log

Phone Amego's Call Log strength is handling large numbers of call. However, the CSV file opens slowly in Numbers and even slower in Excel. Once open, it's just an unformatted spreadsheet of cells, with no color coding to differentiate incoming and outgoing calls, and inadequate filtering or searching.

Superior Call Log

Combining the best features of both call logs would be a very helpful addition to Phone Amego.

-- Ward
Ward

Re: Wish: an improved Call Log

Postby psichel_adm » Wed May 04, 2011 5:30 pm

I'd love to improve the call log and I am considering a few additions.

With respect to your request, are you looking for a custom log viewer with filtering controls,or better formatting in Numbers (or Excel)? My preference is to continue using CSV for import into a spreadsheet because you get more for free. Perhaps there's a way I could build a spreadsheet or database template with more convenient filtering options. If you say more about what you want and how you would do it, I'll certainly consider any ideas.

You could also use a tool like Contactizer Pro to manage your call history. My thinking is there are other of tools to do this already, so I'd rather focus on making it easier to use them, than recreating them for Phone Amego.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Exploiting another app for viewing the PA Call Log

Postby Ward » Wed May 04, 2011 11:34 pm

At the moment, I'm personally content with Phone Amego's two iCal calendars. The Month display has an elegant UI:

• compact list with time & name
  • easy access -- iCal is always running & appears instantly when I click my iCal function key (F7)
  • color coding to easily distinguish incoming & outgoing calls
  • quick hiding of incoming and/or outgoing calls
  • month-at-a-glance display
  • quick search
The only real shortcoming is the limited number of calls per day. An iCal Week display that mimicked the Month's day list would solve that. As is, iCal's Week display wastes vertical space with time between calls and piles a series of quick calls on top of each other.

My real motivation for opening this thread is a desire to introduce the power of Phone Amego into a client's office. Yesterday I replaced a flaky FileMaker-to-ABDialer solution with FileMaker-to-Phone Amego on one iMac. There are three more Macs in the office. Given their business, I can imagine a hundred or more calls a day.

Peter, I completely understand your focusing on Phone Amego's core functions and handing off reporting to other apps. iCal is an excellent example ... for a small number of calls.

As I write this, I'm fantasizing spending some of my "copious free time" creating an iCal-like log viewer in FileMaker, exploiting the FileMaker 11's new "Recurring Import" to automatically grab Phone Amego's CSV file. Stay tuned.

If a Numbers Wizard would like to use that platform for a log viewer, I'd be happy to be an alpha/beta tester.

-- Ward
Ward

Re: Wish: an improved Call Log

Postby psichel_adm » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:09 pm

Your wish has been granted :-)
See version 1.3b3 or later <http://www.sustworks.com/sb_site/downloads.html>

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Return to Phone Amego