Custom pronunciation of names in address book

Forum to share information about Phone Amego and get help to answer your questions

Custom pronunciation of names in address book

Postby Jeffrey » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:06 am

Is there a way to teach Phone Amego how to correctly pronounce names in my address book?
Jeffrey

Re: Custom pronunciation of names in address book

Postby psichel_adm » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:43 am

The Speak Caller ID script uses the Finder to pronounce the caller ID text.

tell application "Finder" to say "Call from " & callerID_name

So your question is whether you can customize the pronunciation of names in the Finder. I don't know the answer, but searching in Google suggests:

/Applications/Utilities/VoiceOver Utility.app

Speech -> Pronunciation

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby Jeffrey » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:17 pm

I'm sorry Peter, but it did not work for me. Do you have any other ideas?
--
Jeffrey
Jeffrey

Postby psichel_adm » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:38 am

This has become a hot topic with Siri for the iPhone.

In Address Book, select a contact and navigate to "Card -> Add Field" in the menu. There you can add a Phonetic First and/or Last name field to the selected contact. In theory, we should be able to use these fields to improve how the built-in speech system pronounces names it finds in your Address Book.

Phone Amego currently uses an AppleScript to have the Finder speak the Caller ID string it receives. I'll need to extend Phone Amego to use the phonetic name fields it finds in your Address Book if any. Since these are intended for the built-in speech system, I think it makes sense to add a "Speak Caller ID" feature in Phone Amego directly so it can take advantage of this information.

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby Jeffrey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:01 pm

Please let me know when you have updated Phone Amego to use the phonetic names field in my Address Book. I look forward to being able to hear my friends names pronounced correctly.

--Jeffrey
Jeffrey

Postby psichel_adm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:14 am

RE: the Phonetic Name fields

---
http://smnevans.com/iphone4s-phonetic-name-siri/
What they didn’t mention is that adding information to these fields will almost certainly mess up the sorting of your contact list.

To understand why, you need to understand their intended function.

They are there to aid with the sorting of Japanese and Chinese names. That’s why they don’t show up by default when using English as the system language. (Oddly, they can’t even be added if you’re using British English.)
---

So the phonetic name fields aren't really intended for customizing how names are pronounced. There are two other ways you can customize how names are pronounced in Phone Amego: (1) You can specify an alternate spelling of the callers name in a local Lookup file; (2) You can specify an alternate spelling of the callers name as the first name listed on their Contact Card.

Both of these will override the name displayed (and pronounced via AppleScript) when a call is received from a matching phone number.

http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/callerID.html
http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/contactCard.html

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby Jeffrey » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:25 am

psichel_adm

I have Phone Amego installed on my iMac. I also have the Phonetic Name fields enabled in the Address Book application of my iMac and use the phonetic names on many of my contacts. I have a landline connected to my iMac. I do not own an iPhone, so I can't speak to any issues with Siri on the new iPhone 4 S.

The Phonetic Names field does not change the sorting of my Address book contact list. In my Address Book there are options to sort by First Name or Last Name but not by Phonetic Names. I've searched the Apple support site http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2486 and so far have not found a way to sort names using the Phonetic Names fields.

I look forward to have Phone Amego correctly pronounce the contact names I have entered in Apple's Address Book application.

Jeffrey.
Jeffrey

Postby psichel_adm » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:39 pm

I added a Speak Caller ID feature that uses the phonetic name fields from Apple's Address Book if they are available. Drop me an Email if you'd like to test it.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Return to Phone Amego