Landline with Bluetooth recommendation ?

Forum to share information about Phone Amego and get help to answer your questions

Landline with Bluetooth recommendation ?

Postby maxandersen » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:27 am

Hi,

I installed amego and it seem to work great with my iPhone.

Now I would like to use it with my landline (free conference calls and not dependent on my network bandwidth) but preferably without a wired USB modem.

I tried panasonic tg kx 8611 but my MacBook pro won't recognize it for anything but a file transfer device.

Anyone have experience with another Bluetooth landline phone model that actually works ?
maxandersen

Re: Landline with Bluetooth recommendation ?

Postby psichel_adm » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:15 pm

>Now I would like to use it with my landline (free conference calls and not dependent on my network bandwidth) but preferably without a wired USB modem.

If you just want Caller ID and don't care about dialing or speakerphone, you could use an OBi110 service bridge and connect your phone to the phone port and landline to the line port. Phone Amego could then read the call status from the OBi110 via Ethernet over your LAN.

>Anyone have experience with another Bluetooth landline phone model that actually works ?

I've seen two kinds of Bluetooth in "landline" phones:
(a) A connection to share your cell phone minutes
(b) A landline phone that can work with a Bluetooth headset using the HandsFree Profile.
You would need (b) to work with Phone Amego. To your landline, Phone Amego looks like a Bluetooth headset.

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby maxandersen » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:56 am

Can I use OBi110 to handle voice/headset ?
i.e. I don't need a real landline phone - just want ability to dial out via my laptop ;)

And yes, the Phillips I tried supposedly should be in the (b) category but was not detectable by my laptop for anything but file transfers...
maxandersen

Postby psichel_adm » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:08 pm

>Can I use OBi110 to handle voice/headset ?

The OBI110 can work with an SIP soft phone running on your Mac, but it's complex to configure.

>And yes, the Phillips I tried supposedly should be in the (b) category but was not detectable by my laptop for anything but file transfers...

This might be a Bluetooth configuration issue. Bluetooth can be complex to sort out when you're getting started. Were you able to make sense of the Bluetooth configuration and troubleshooting pages in the Phone Amego User's Guide?

Once you have paired your Panasonic phone with your Mac, you can use Phone Amego to add it as a telephone device. What Phone Amego does is open the standard Bluetooth service browser so you can select a "Handsfree Gateway Service", but there is no way to know exactly what this will be called on your phone. What services appear when you try this? It might be easier to confer on this directly by Email.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby Tripple26 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:28 am

When a call comes in the alert box does not contain a green handset or accept button. The action menu also has grayed out answer and speaker phone
I am only using the land line through a US robotics 5637 with the desire to use my computer speakers and microphone as a hand set...maybe this is not possible??
Tripple26

Postby psichel_adm » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:46 pm

Not possible. Phone Amego does not send and receive call audio through generic USB modems to provide the speaker phone feature you are looking for. This is why you can't "answer" a call with a USB modem. Taking the USB Modem off hook to initiate a data connection is not what you want. If you're serious about telephony integration, I recommend a dedicated VoIP desk phone that was designed to support telephone integration. A USB modem designed for dial-up networking will not be very satisfying beyond showing caller ID and letting you dial.

FYI, Macs are not very good speaker phones compared to a dedicated VoIP phone optimized for this use case. Programs like Skype or FaceTime work well because they control the entire audio stack from end-to-end.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Return to Phone Amego