Overlapping area codes and dialling configuration

Forum to share information about Phone Amego and get help to answer your questions

Overlapping area codes and dialling configuration

Postby Drdul » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:30 pm

I live in Vancouver, where there are two overlapping area codes (604 and 778). My landline is a 604 number, so I have entered 604 as the "current area code" in Phone Amego's dialling preferences. In the long distance section, I have unchecked the "dial for numbers within your city or area" box so that Phone Amego doesn't dial a 1 in front of 604 numbers. But my problem is, how do I configure Phone Amego to not dial a 1 in front of 778 numbers, which are also local numbers?
Drdul

Re: Overlapping area codes and dialling configuration

Postby psichel_adm » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:11 pm

I assume dialing "1" is required for calls outside the 604 and 778 area codes, otherwise you could just omit the "1" entirely as is common when using a cell phone or VoIP service. Does Vancouver allow 11-digit dialing? In other words, will dialing a "1" in front of 778 numbers cause the call to fail or be billed as long distance?

You might also turn off dialing options and enter numbers in your address book the way you want them to be dialed.

If none of these options are satisfying, I can update Phone Amego to allow an overlapping local area code.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby Drdul » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:16 pm

psichel_adm wrote:I assume dialing "1" is required for calls outside the 604 and 778 area codes, otherwise you could just omit the "1" entirely as is common when using a cell phone or VoIP service. Does Vancouver allow 11-digit dialing? In other words, will dialing a "1" in front of 778 numbers cause the call to fail or be billed as long distance?

You might also turn off dialing options and enter numbers in your address book the way you want them to be dialed.

If none of these options are satisfying, I can update Phone Amego to allow an overlapping local area code.

Hi Peter:

Yes, 1 is required for calls outside 604 and 778, and if 1 is dialled for local calls the call will fail. I don't want to modify the numbers in my address book because a) it's a lot of work, and b) it's synced with my iPhone, and if I use my iPhone when I am in another city, the 1 or missing 1 would be a problem.

Overlapping area codes are becoming quite common (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_area_code_overlays for a complete list), so more and more users will encounter this issue. I would suggest adding a setting in the Dialling prefs that allows users to specify additional local area codes. In my case, I would specify 604 as the current and default area code, and would specify 778 as an additional local area code. That way, when I dial a 778 number, Phone Amego will know not to add a 1 in front.

Cheers!
Drdul

Postby psichel_adm » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:10 pm

Okay, I'll work on adding support for an overlapping area code. If you drop me an Email, I should have a new version for testing fairly soon.

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby Drdul » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi Peter:

Thanks for adding the overlapping area code feature to the new version. You might want to add the ability for users to specify two or more overlapping area codes (separated by spaces or commas), as there are already several cities with three overlapping area codes (and Vancouver will apparently be getting another area code soon, so it's a feature I will eventually need).

Cheers!
Drdul

Postby psichel_adm » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Feb 6, 2012 - Phone Amego 1.4c1.001
• Allow comma separated list of overlapping area codes under Dialing options tab.
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Return to Phone Amego