Mac Address book integration

Forum to share information about Phone Amego and get help to answer your questions

Mac Address book integration

Postby mbossuyt » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:34 pm

Hello,

I am testing Phone Amego on Mac Lion in combination with an Obi110 in Belgium. The Obi110 is setup with a landline and Google Voice. The latter is not configured nor activated in Phone Amego. Currently Growl and Prowl are deactivated.

Whenever I receive a phone call originating from the US (via Google Voice), I get a correct and complete Caller ID notification from Phone Amego, including picture, number, name and the latter are even spoken via the optional Apple Script. The information is obtained from the Obi and successfully matched against an entry in the Address Book. Sofar so good, great!

However no calls originating from Belgium, whether cell phone or landline calls, are successfully matched against an Address Book entry, though the caller id is shown in the Call Status window. I've tried to adapt the number format in the Address Book options, but to no avail. What am I doing wrong or omitting?

Thanks for any help.

Marc
mbossuyt

Re: Mac Address book integration only works for US calls

Postby psichel_adm » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:20 pm

Phone Amego has a Debug Log which you can enable under the More tab to show you what it is doing. When a call arrives, it should show you the telephone number it received from your phone system and is trying to match against an Address Book entry.

Address Book matching is described here:
http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/formatting.html

Searching for a matching phone number in your Address Book is more subtle than it appears since a phone number is just a string of characters the user can enter in whatever format they choose. If you show me the number Phone Amego received and and the number from your Address Book you were expecting Phone Amego to match, we should get some idea of what happened.

It may also help to consider the phone number formats you have defined in your Address Book preferences. If you Email a screen snapshot of these directly, it may help. I see very few problems with telephone number matching, so there's probably something about the way your phone system or OBi110 is reporting phone numbers that doesn't match your Address Book.

Kind Regards,

- Peter

PS If you are not sure how to send me an Email directly, see the "Getting Help" page in the Users Guide.
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Address Book Integration - no option showing

Postby bluefish » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:29 am

Hello,

the address book integration of Phone Amego is not working,
I can´t see the dial option, also see my attached screenshot.
I´m using MacOSX 10.7.3.
Thanks.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-02-12 at 12.37.43.png
Screenshot
Screen Shot 2012-02-12 at 12.37.43.png (40.64 KiB) Viewed 6086 times
bluefish

Re: Address Book Integration - no option showing

Postby psichel_adm » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:32 pm

What version of Phone Amego do you have?

Did you enable "Plugins" or install them manually if you have the Mac App Store version of Phone Amego? The Mac App Store does not allow applications to install Address Book plugins.

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Address Book integration

Postby buckaroo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Newbie question, but I'm not finding a clear answer in the documentation:

How can I add an entry from the Phone Amego call log to my Apple Address Book? For example, I might have a call from an unrecognized number that I do not answer, and after the fact find that this is another number for a contact I already have in my Address Book. I would like to add that new phone number to the existing contact.

Steve
buckaroo

Re: Address Book integration

Postby psichel_adm » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:12 am

There are two ways to do this:

(1) From the Phone Amego Call Log, select the desired call and press the card icon to open a Phone Amego Contact Card.
http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/contactCard.html

Press "Edit Contact" to open a matching Address Book contact (by phone number) or create a new one if needed.

(2) From the Phone Amego Call Log, select the desired call and press Control-Shift-C to open a Call window.
http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/placeCall.html

Copy the phone number and then press "Contacts" to show related contacts by name in your Address Book. Select the desired contact in your Address Book and then add the phone number you copied.

Enjoy!

- Peter

P.S. The Mac App Store version is a little behind and does not include these features yet.
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Re: Mac Address book integration

Postby bhomatude » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:33 pm

I too am unable to dial from the mac address book. I am running the latest version of Lion with the latest version of Amego 1.4c3. I have the .bundle plugins installed into Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/ I've rebooted... nothing. Right clicking on a number doesn't work either. There is no apparent way to dial out via the Address Book.
Anyone?

EDIT:

HOLD ON! Ah Ha! You have to actually click on the NAME of the phone number ie mobile or home or office etc. in order for the context menu to pop up with the dial/sms with phone amego option. Okay! Now I like the app.

Maybe I'm a little slow, but me thinks that a little added direction in this department would be useful!
bhomatude

Postby psichel_adm » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:11 pm

There are some directions here:
http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/dialing.html

I'd welcome ideas to make this easier. To have right-click show the Dial with Phone Amego option, you have to enable this in Keyboard Preferences (starting with 10.7 Lion). Now that so many applications are installing Application Services, the default is to leave them off until the user enables it. If every application developer over-rides this, it just escalates into an arms race. Phone Amego gives you a button you can press that walks you through the process to enabling the service in Keyboard Preferences.

Enjoy!

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby bhomatude » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm

I completely missed it! Thanks.
bhomatude

Return to Phone Amego