iPhone 4s & Macbook Air Audio

Forum to share information about Phone Amego and get help to answer your questions

iPhone 4s & Macbook Air Audio

Postby j513bird » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:19 pm

First, I'm new to using a forum and I'm not savvy in a technical sense, so please bear with me.

I downloaded Phone Amego and successfully paired it with my iPhone 4s. I can dial from the MacBook Air 100% of the time. However, the audio source on the iPhone is set to "iPhone" instead of "Macbook Air". When I manually make the change to "Macbook Air", it will not connect - turns blue for 1 second then reverts back to "iPhone".

Now when I receive calls, everything displays correctly and I can accept it on my Macbook Air. The audio on the iPhone still defaults to "iPhone", but this time I can physically touch the iPhone screen and change it to "Macbook Air" and everything works perfectly.

EDIT: I now have the "Macbook Air" set as my default source for making and receiving calls through Amego, however I can't communicate either way through the Macbook Air.

Not sure if my Sound Preference Settings are messed up, or if it's in Amego's Settings. I'm using my wired apple earbuds via the headphone port on the Macbook Air, and I can hear all system sounds - just nothing regarding the phone call. I disconnected my Jawbone ERA so the only things BT linked are my Magic Mouse and the iPhone. Everything is "Connected and Ready" so I think it must be a sound setting...

LOL, doesn't help me much if I can't hear or speak to the caller! So far, this application is the best thing ever and I intend to make the full purchase once I can work out this issue. Thanks all!
j513bird

Re: iPhone 4s & Macbook Air Audio

Postby psichel_adm » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:25 am

Bluetooth Audio on Mac OS X is one of the most challenging pieces to get working. Were you able to follow the instructions here:

http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/handsfree.html

By default, the iPhone will try to route the call audio to your Mac, but this isn't always the what the user wants, so you need to tell Phone Amego whether to accept the audio connection, or send it back to your phone. One way to do this is to set "Accept Handsfree Always" under the Telephone Devices table. The other way is to choose "Speakerphone" explicitly from the Action menu at the lower right of the Call Status window.

The other problem I've seen is that some other Applications on your Mac like Skype or iChat will try to steal the Bluetooth audio (thinking it's a Bluetooth headset) so Phone Amego can no longer get it. Phone Amego has a debug log you can enable under the More tab to verify what it sees and how it responds.

Bluetooth audio is too difficult to tame without some help from Apple, so I haven't promoted this as a major feature. The other App that tried to do this (BluePhoneElite2) already gave up.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby j513bird » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:46 am

Peter:

Thanks for the fast response. I read hte link you sent and have set everything as suggested (Always Accept Handsfree). Also, I do not have a "Speakerphone" option to manually change it. Based on your explanation, it seems like either my sound settings on the mac are incorrect, or iChat (now iMessages) is stealing it. IF it is the latter, how can I change it to prevent the theft from occurring? If it's the former, can you take a look at the screenshots and let me know if I have the appropriate settings?

Thanks.

http://cl.ly/1U2D132f3M2R333b271J
http://cl.ly/1k0b2q2J0m231k0d1d0F
http://cl.ly/1Y263W410X0e1c3q2s0h

JRC
j513bird

Postby psichel_adm » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:06 am

I noticed on the last screen snapshot that you have selected "Bypass Bluetooth Audio". This will prevent Phone Amego from attempting any interaction with Bluetooth audio. You must unselect this if you want Bluetooth audio to play through your Mac.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby j513bird » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:35 am

Peter:

Consider me a satisfied customer! I'll make sure to purchase the license soon. Thanks again for the support!

JR C
j513bird

Return to Phone Amego