Troubleshooting

Forum to share information about Keyclick and get help to answer your questions

Troubleshooting

Postby psichel_adm » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:52 pm

Keyclick itself is fairly simple.  It registers a Quartz Event Tap to receive keystroke events and calls SystemSoundPlay() to play a previously loaded sound for each matching event.  The rest is just user interface.

There are two things that might interrupt normal operation:

(1) Failure to receive keystroke events.  It turns out any application can request to deny other applications the ability to monitor keystrokes by enabling "secure input mode".  Normally this is used for password fields to prevent inadvertent logging of user passwords, but some programs get confused and don't properly enable and disable this feature only when needed.

(2) Sound playback.  There are many options for controlling sound playback and many programs that try to configure them.  User Interface Sound Effects must be enabled.  An appropriate output device selected, and the playback volume set to an audible level.  Keyclick plays what are called "alert sounds" which are controlled separately from the audio playback path used by iTunes and other audio media.

To resolve the first issue, I suggest downloading Event Taps Testbench from here:

http://prefabsoftware.com/eventtapstestbench/

This will show you that the "KeyclickServer" process has installed a Quartz Event Tap, and if you select Monitor Hardware will indicate when keystrokes are successfully tapped or intercepted.

To resolve the second issue, I suggest opening the "Sound" preference panel and verify whether clicking on an alert sound causes it to playback as expected.  If not, you may need to re-set the output device or volume for alert sound playback.

Finally, you can open Apple's Console.app to view the "system.log".  If Keyclick encounters an unexpected problem, it will normally write a message here indicating what happened from its perspective.  The Keyclick Preference panel normally configures a KeyclickServer process that performs the actual work.  The KeyclickServer should start anytime Keyclick is enabled, and stop when Keyclick is turned off and you exit from the Keyclick Preference Pane.  You can verify this in Apple's Activity Monitor and also watch the Quartz Event Tap being installed and removed using Event Taps Testbench.

As you might imagine, many hundreds of people are using Keyclick without difficulty (including me), but a few run into some software conflict.  Usually these can be resolved with a little detective work.  In a few cases, I've had to extend Keyclick slightly to properly handle some system behavior I hadn't anticipated.

Kind Regards,

- Peter Sichel
  Sustainable Softworks
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Re: Troubleshooting

Postby rjriv » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:32 pm

Hello,

Every now an then, the keyclick sounds just stop working (keyclick v1.3.2 on OS X 10.8).

I have followed the instructions in this post and found this message is in the console log:

8/24/12 4:13:39.956 PM KeyclickServer[10038]: *** -[NSMachPort handlePortMessage:]: dropping incoming DO message because the connection is invalid

Is there a way to "restart" the Keyclick server? I have turned it off in system preferences, closed the preferences window, and see this in the log:

8/24/12 4:13:05.794 PM System Preferences[9888]: Remove KeyclickServer.app as login item.

Then turned it back on and see this:

8/24/12 4:13:39.946 PM System Preferences[10033]: Add KeyclickServer.app as login item.

But there is still no sound.

It seems to happen when I mute all sound for some time and then un-mute using the keyboard. The only thing I have found so far that corrects this is a complete restart...not so fun!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Rob
rjriv

Postby psichel_adm » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Can you confirm other Alert sounds are working in the Sound Preferences panel?

I've received a couple such reports from 10.8 users. Hopefully this will settle down in 10.8.1

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby rjriv » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:25 pm

Yes, I'm sorry I forgot to mention that. It still plays other alert sounds from the preference panel sound settings and when alerts happen for real.

I wondered if it was a Mountain Lion thing, but I had never used it with Lion! Let me know if there is any other information I could gather that could be helpful.

Thank you,

Rob
rjriv

Postby psichel_adm » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:56 pm

Please grab Keyclick 1.3.3 if you haven't already. I don't have any similar reports to correlate with, but 1.3.3 is signed for use the GateKeeper on 10.8

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby rjriv » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:51 am

Ok; thank you.

10.8.1 didn't seem to fix it. I'll let you know what happens with 1.3.3.

I can't quite seem to figure out WHEN it quits working yet, though.

Thanks again,

Rob
rjriv

Postby dchadwick » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:14 pm

Having much the same problem on my MacBook Air running 10.8.2 and Keyclick 1.3.1.

Basically, every day or two, Keyclick stops working completely. Other system sounds continue to work, but Keyclick doesn't, and the only thing that gets it running again is a restart (logging out and back in doesn't help). The only thing that seems to correspond to Keyclick failing is my putting the machine to sleep and waking it again.

I've had this problem through Lion and all versions of Mountain Lion for the past year that I've owned this laptop: Keyclick is working, I put the machine away for a while, and when I open it again, Keyclick is dead. It's kind of a drag because otherwise I'd probably almost never have to restart this computer.

Meanwhile, my Mac Mini, also running all the same software (and then some) continues to run Keyclick perfectly no matter what.

*** note: Keyclick 1.3.4 did not fix this problem. ***
Last edited by dchadwick on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dchadwick

Postby rjriv » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi everyone,

On keyclick 1.3.3, I think I finally figured out a pattern to the behavior being described here.

I *think* that when I mute the sound, then sleep, then come back and unmute, keyclick stops working.

This is pretty time consuming to test because of all the restarting, however! But so far every time it is not working it is after this series of events...

Maybe this will help,

Rob
rjriv

Postby dchadwick » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the problem that I'm running into. Most of the time if my MacBook Air goes to sleep for any length of time at all, Keyclick is disabled when it wakes back up again, regardless of whether the sound was muted or not.
dchadwick

Postby psichel_adm » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:23 pm

It sounds like something broke in 10.8 related to sleep and Keyclick sounds. I can investigate, but the behavior is not consistent.

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Next

Return to Keyclick