Callers report echo

Forum to share information about Phone Amego and get help to answer your questions

Callers report echo

Postby jmoughon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:25 pm

I have been testing the Phone Amego software and they people talking to me while I am using Phone Amego are telling me they hear their echo.

Mac OSX 10.8.2
iPhone 4s

Thoughts?
jmoughon

Re: Callers report echo

Postby psichel_adm » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:10 am

First, this is a known issue. Phone Amego really needs Echo Cancellation to work well as a speakerphone. The Phone Amego documentation is careful to describe the Speakerphone feature in its current state as "under construction".
http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/handsfree.html

You might wonder why I haven't added Echo Cancellation already and the reasons are:

(1) It's hard.
(2) Bluetooth audio on Mac OS X 10.7 had so many other problems it wouldn't have been enough.
(3) Apple already has this technology in several places and I was hoping they would expose it rather than forcing 3rd party developers to re-invent the wheel using open source components. The VPIO (Voice Processing IO) audio unit on iOS provides this feature, but is not available on Mac OS X. iChat (Messages) also includes this feature. The iPhone itself could expose this feature as part of the Bluetooth HFP (HandsFree Profile).

With the release of 10.8 and iOS6, Bluetooth audio on Mac OS X appears to be stable enough to justify the effort. The challenge now is determining what's available and adapting the best solution. In the meantime, you might try using headphones.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby jmoughon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:07 pm

Peter,
Thanks for the reply and for the clarification. I read your post about the complications. My problem was occurring while I was using headphones and the Macbook mic array (I have not tried with a separate mic). That is why I was confused about the echo.

-James
jmoughon

Postby psichel_adm » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:12 am

I'm not sure where the echo would be coming from then unless there is some leakage from the headphones or another part of the audio path.

The built-in Microphone uses Automatic Gain Control (AGC) and can pickup a lot of noise.

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby jakecarey » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:25 pm

Yes, I to am finding the echo problem. I have a home office and am constantly in front of my iMac and would LOVE to be able to just click a button and start talking when my phone rings, that way I can keep focusing on my work. What kind of time frame do you see this echo issue taking to resolve?

Thanks for the effort, I have developed Mac software in the past and understand the challenges that APPLE can place upon you! Good luck!

Jake
jakecarey

Postby psichel_adm » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:13 pm

I have a home office and am constantly in front of my iMac and would LOVE to be able to just click a button and start talking when my phone rings, that way I can keep focusing on my work.

I wanted to mention you can do this now using a SIP phone from Yealink or Polycom. It works great. The missing piece is being able to do this with the iPhone.

What kind of time frame do you see this echo issue taking to resolve?

That really depends on what existing resources I can find. So far I have the open source Speex framework which provides echo cancellation and Apple's buggy sample code for Core Audio PlayThrough. To get these working smoothly together could take months so I'm hoping to find something easier.

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby psichel_adm » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:43 pm

Good news:

In iOS6 Apple has enabled "echo cancellation" by default when using Bluetooth devices.
See page 10, https://developer.apple.com/hardwaredri ... elines.pdf

The play-through latency on the Mac appears to be outside the range recognized by the iPhone's EC software, but I have an idea how to fix this.

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby astagl » Tue May 07, 2013 4:48 pm

I just wanted to chime in to say I was pretty excited about getting phone amego, but my first test call ended up with a lot of voice echo.

I'm using an Android Nexus 4 with a Mountain Lion Macbook. I understand it may be a while until it is fixed... I'll keep my eyes peeled if/when it is fixed and purchase immediately!

Awesome app otherwise!!! :D
astagl

Postby psichel_adm » Wed May 08, 2013 10:56 pm

A headset should work nicely.

FYI: CAPlayThrough is still busted and didn't help so I'm looking at CoreAudio Foundation but it's not officially recommended for real time signal processing. It's frustrating that Apple makes this so straight forward on iOS (with VPIO) but difficult on Mac OS X.
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby psichel_adm » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:19 am

Phone Amego 1.4.12 includes Acoustic Echo Suppression. In my testing, this is quite effective.

Enjoy!

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Return to Phone Amego