Wishes, comments, suggestions

Forum to share information about Phone Amego and get help to answer your questions

Re: Wishes, comments, suggestions

Postby psichel_adm » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:55 pm

I'm afraid this thread is getting a little tricky to follow, but I'll do the best I Can.

First, I want to thank you for your many suggestions. Phone Amego can be used in many ways (cell phone, Landline, VoIP, Google Voice), and your suggestions are clarifying how you would like to use it.

I didn't say "Answer on Speakerphone". I said: "Accept call" (i.e. pick up, answer, start conversation) and "Reject call" (i.e. refuse to pick up). These would be the two most common functions (99%, I'd say) that one does when any phone is ringing, right?

I'm looking at adding these for the Bluetooth cell phone case (the Bluetooth speakerphone is a recent addition). Notice that for Landline or VoIP phones, no such option is currently available.

You can use the Close button to close the window or move it to the Dock as desired. Previous versions closed the window automatically after a short time out but many users found this undesirable.

How so? If I configure it to hang up on closing the window, then I must not close the window until I finish the conversation. But it gets in the way because it is persistent on staying always on top.

I've updated Phone Amego to close the window automatically if time outs are enabled except for landline phones where this doesn't work very well (because USB modems don't provide real-time call status). Notice you can use Close to close the window, and Cmd-Close to close the window and hang up (or swap them if you prefer).
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby psichel_adm » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:14 pm

There are several ways to reset Bluetooth. You can turn off "Monitoring" and then turn it back on, or quit and relaunch Phone Amego to reset Phone Amego's use of the Bluetooth stack. More info:

I am aware of these possibilities. They involve several clicks and a bit of searching through menus or dialogs. And it should be done in 2 clicks (1st click on the Phone Amego icon on the menu bar, 2nd click on the "Restart bluetooth" option). Actually, it shouldn't be necessary at all. Your bluetooth link should be smart enough to know that it got hung. At least when making an outgoing call.

Notice Apple implements the Bluetooth stack as part of the Mac OS X kernel. Phone Amego is a user level client of Apple's Bluetooth stack. Phone Amego cannot reset the system wide Bluetooth stack without acquiring root privileges and accessing private APIs. Phone Amego checks the Bluetooth connection to your cell phone every 30 seconds and will try to reset the connection if it sees it is no longer responding. I'm not sure what else is practical here.
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby psichel_adm » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:28 pm

5. I have a problem with dialling shortform VPN numbers

In general this is configurable under the "Dialing" tab, but I may need enhance Phone Amego to allow 3-digit short numbers or extension codes. Phone Amego is trying to apply the dialing conventions of the public switched telephone network so it can dial numbers correctly based on where you are. If the number you enter is 4 or fewer digits, Phone Amego should just dial it as is.

Well, it doesn't. It puts a 0 (long distance prefix) in front of it.

This should be fixed in the last version I sent you.

It's frustrating because I don't understand how you put so much effort into elaborating all the possible schemes...

Actually, I didn't put any effort into it at all until customers began asking me to :-) In the US, most users are unfamiliar with international "+" phone number notation, so I've tried to accommodate both perspectives. If you enter numbers beginning with "+", the number should dial correctly. The latest version I sent you should also dial short numbers correctly.
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby smayoo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:52 pm

By the way, you mention that you've sent me an updated version, but I haven't received any attachments with your E-mails.

psichel_adm wrote:
I didn't say "Answer on Speakerphone". I said: "Accept call" (i.e. pick up, answer, start conversation) and "Reject call" (i.e. refuse to pick up). These would be the two most common functions (99%, I'd say) that one does when any phone is ringing, right?

I'm looking at adding these for the Bluetooth cell phone case (the Bluetooth speakerphone is a recent addition). Notice that for Landline or VoIP phones, no such option is currently available.

Yes, I see your point. Although, I'd say you're steps away from evolving into a fully functional VoIP (SIP) virtual telephone. Also, depending on someone's workflow having hotkeys and/or clickable buttons in a window still may be a better way than actually moving their hands to the phone. Call centres or sales people that take phone orders - they work with headsets, not handsets and it's usually a distraction for them to move their eyes and hands from the computer.

Notice you can use Close to close the window, and Cmd-Close to close the window and hang up (or swap them if you prefer).

Oh! It works like that? I see. Thanks. It wasn't really self-explanatory from the application itself. I guess you wrote it somewhere in the manual. Which I didn't take time to study... Sorry. :oops:

Notice Apple implements the Bluetooth stack as part of the Mac OS X kernel. Phone Amego is a user level client of Apple's Bluetooth stack. Phone Amego cannot reset the system wide Bluetooth stack without acquiring root privileges and accessing private APIs. Phone Amego checks the Bluetooth connection to your cell phone every 30 seconds and will try to reset the connection if it sees it is no longer responding. I'm not sure what else is practical here.

I'm pretty sure the problem is not with the Apple's implementation of the bluetooth stack, since it works perfectly in all the other cases. Far better than any other bluetooth device I've ever used. To give you an illustration, before trying Phone Amego, this is how I was working:

- The cell phone is connected to a Parrot desktop bluetooth handsfree set permanently, to receive and place calls.

- To actually dial the numbers out, I used Dialectic, via Bluetooth. When polled by Dialectic, the phone drops the handsfree set for a second, and then reconnects in time for me to hear the first ring.

- To send an SMS, I use a widget which sends the SMS from my cell phone, also through bluetooth. After sending SMS, the handsfree link stays down, but is restored by itself as soon as I place a call or press a voice dialling button on the handsfree set (because this action is relayed to the phone). Sometimes the first try to send the SMS is unsuccessfull, but a simple retry does the trick.

- Twice a day (in the morning and before leaving office) I start iSync to synchronize the contacts, appointments, tasks and notes between the phone and Mac. HAndsfree link is dropped during sync and restored by itself after iSync finishes.

- Sometimes (maybe several times a day, maybe once a week) I transfer some files (mostly photos) from my cell phone to Mac. I use normal default Apples bluetooth utility (BT icon on menu bar, choosing the name of my phone, and then "Browse Device"). After I finish, the handsfree link stays down, but it is restored automatically as soon as I place a call or press a voice dialling button on the handsfree set.

So, as you can see, the Apple's BT stack works impeccably.

Phone Amego's bluetooth link behaves somewhat erratically. Restarting Apple's bluetooth stack (turning BT off and on) doesn't help ever. On the other hand, when Phone Amego looses the bluetooth link (which happens when something else takes over the BT link), after the link is freed, it just doesn't reconnect. In the preferences, in the "list of telephone devices", it says that the phone is available and in range, or something like that (same message that you get when you click the "Check Connectivity" button) but not "Connected and Ready". And it simply doesn't reconnect. Stopping and starting monitoring sometimes helps and sometimes not. Quitting Phone Amego and restarting it sometimes helps and sometimes not. Anyway, Phone Amego obviously sees the phone (and reports that it's seen), but just doesn't reactivate the connection.

Manual forcing handsfree set connection from the phone *always* produces an error on the Mac side saying that the audio gateway is already in use and connection cannot be established, offering me to stop using audio portion. After clicking on this option, the phone either reconnects to Phone Amego immediately, by itself, or after some time, or not until restarting the monitoring.
smayoo

Postby smayoo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:24 am

smayoo wrote:Manual forcing handsfree set connection from the phone *always* produces an error on the Mac side saying that the audio gateway is already in use and connection cannot be established, offering me to stop using audio portion. After clicking on this option, the phone either reconnects to Phone Amego immediately, by itself, or after some time, or not until restarting the monitoring.

I just had this case again. Here is a screenshot of the error message:

Screen shot 2010-12-02 at 10.14.37.png
bluetooth connection error message
Screen shot 2010-12-02 at 10.14.37.png (28.65 KiB) Viewed 4134 times

So, after clicking on the button (and cancelling the connection process on the phone) turning the Phone Amego monitoring off and on makes the connection and everything is functional again.

Before that, I tried both restarting monitoring, and restarting the Phone Amego, neither helped. Debug log in the attachment.

PS
If you'd like, feel free to move this to a separate thread, for easier tracking. I'm aware that it's getting out of hand. :)
Attachments
testlog.txt.zip
Log file
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
smayoo

Postby psichel_adm » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:51 am

I'm pretty sure the problem is not with the Apple's implementation of the bluetooth stack, since it works perfectly in all the other cases. Far better than any other bluetooth device I've ever used. To give you an illustration, before trying Phone Amego, this is how I was working:

- The cell phone is connected to a Parrot desktop bluetooth handsfree set permanently, to receive and place calls.

- To actually dial the numbers out, I used Dialectic, via Bluetooth. When polled by Dialectic, the phone drops the handsfree set for a second, and then reconnects in time for me to hear the first ring.

Notice that Dialectic is not trying to maintain a Bluetooth connection for incoming call notification with Caller ID (as Phone Amego does). It only opens a Bluetooth connection to your phone when you try to dial and then closes it immediately. As far as I know, having two Hands-Free devices connecting with your phone at the same time is not supported and the behavior is not specified.

In practice, the last Hands-Free device to connect with your phone grabs the connection. Dialectic is relying on the observed behavior that the other Hands-Free device won't notice right away or try to re-establish the connection. If that works, great.

- To send an SMS, I use a widget which sends the SMS from my cell phone, also through bluetooth. After sending SMS, the handsfree link stays down, but is restored by itself as soon as I place a call or press a voice dialling button on the handsfree set (because this action is relayed to the phone). Sometimes the first try to send the SMS is unsuccessfull, but a simple retry does the trick.

It appears you are relying on unspecified behavior. Also, there is no inbound caller ID involved.

- Twice a day (in the morning and before leaving office) I start iSync to synchronize the contacts, appointments, tasks and notes between the phone and Mac. HAndsfree link is dropped during sync and restored by itself after iSync finishes.

Your Mac is not attempting to maintain a Hands-Free link during sync, only your external Hands-Free device.

- Sometimes (maybe several times a day, maybe once a week) I transfer some files (mostly photos) from my cell phone to Mac. I use normal default Apples bluetooth utility (BT icon on menu bar, choosing the name of my phone, and then "Browse Device"). After I finish, the handsfree link stays down, but it is restored automatically as soon as I place a call or press a voice dialling button on the handsfree set.

So, as you can see, the Apple's BT stack works impeccably.

You're comparing a different situation where the Mac Bluetooth stack is not trying to maintain a HFP connection to your iPhone while you are performing other operations. Of course I would like to resolve any problems you're seeing. I'm just carefully observing what each software component is doing.

Phone Amego's bluetooth link behaves somewhat erratically. Restarting Apple's bluetooth stack (turning BT off and on) doesn't help ever. On the other hand, when Phone Amego looses the bluetooth link (which happens when something else takes over the BT link), after the link is freed, it just doesn't reconnect.

If you check the "Phone Amego / Debug Log", I think you'll see that Phone Amego is trying to reconnect, and that the Bluetooth stack is reporting an error (reason: "Exclusive Access"). It won't open the connection because it believes there is already another connection in progress.

In the preferences, in the "list of telephone devices", it says that the phone is available and in range, or something like that (same message that you get when you click the "Check Connectivity" button) but not "Connected and Ready". And it simply doesn't reconnect. Stopping and starting monitoring sometimes helps and sometimes not. Quitting Phone Amego and restarting it sometimes helps and sometimes not. Anyway, Phone Amego obviously sees the phone (and reports that it's seen), but just doesn't reactivate the connection.

The two Bluetooth radio stacks on either side of the link are out of synch and not allowing Phone Amego to open a connection. I'd like to resolve this problem, but I haven't found the answer yet.

Manual forcing handsfree set connection from the phone *always* produces an error on the Mac side saying that the audio gateway is already in use and connection cannot be established, offering me to stop using audio portion. After clicking on this option, the phone either reconnects to Phone Amego immediately, by itself, or after some time, or not until restarting the monitoring.

This is consistent with what I described above. The problem I'm trying to resolve is how to recover when the Bluetooth stack refuses to open a connection to a device because it believes a connection to that device is already in progress.
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Phone Amego