Make Google Voice call without browser open?

Forum to share information about Phone Amego and get help to answer your questions

Make Google Voice call without browser open?

Postby GTTT » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:55 pm

I have Phone Amego installed on my 27" imac (2012). No external phone, just using through the speaker and microphone of my computer. I am evaluating Phone Amego for purchase. My goal is to make Google Voice calls from Phone Amego without having a browser window open. Can I do this?

There is an "expert tip" in the support documents that I think suggests that what I am trying to do is possible, but I'm not sure. Can I activate this feature without having a separate speakerphone attached?
<snip>
Expert Tip
When placing a call, Google Voice will normally ringback your local phone, and then ring thenumber you are calling after you have answered. If you use Google Voice with a speakerphone that can be answered from your Mac, Phone Amego will automatically answer the ringback callfrom Google Voice on the first ring so the call will appear to go through directly.
<snip>
GTTT

Re: Make Google Voice call without browser open?

Postby psichel_adm » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:48 am

It sounds like you are mixing Google Voice with Google Talk. You can certainly make Google Voice calls without a browser being open. If you set Google Voice to use Google Talk as your number to ring, you will need an open browser to receive the ring back call.

Notice Google Talk uses browser plug-ins to handle call audio. Phone Amego does have an experimental feature to dial a Google Talk call directly by creating a hidden browser window using WebKit and dialing for you so don't need to have an open browser window on your desktop. See
http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/usingGV.html

Phone Amego is not a stand-alone XMPP client compatible with the Google Talk if that is what you are looking for (try searching for XMPP clients).

Phone Amego provides Mac-to-phone integration allowing you to monitor and control your phones from your Mac. There are lots of Apps and services for using your Mac as a phone, but few that focus on integrating phones into your Mac based workflow.

Kind Regards,

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Postby GTTT » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:01 am

Thank you, Peter. You are right. I was mixing up Google Voice and Google Talk. Thank you for clarifying the distinction.

I might just keep a browser window open, but if that turns out not to work for me, what are some alternative I should consider, beyond Google Talk, to make and receive calls through my computer without using a web-browswer?

Thank you again for your reply, Tony
GTTT

Postby psichel_adm » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:28 am

You could try searching for XMPP clients. Skype is another popular service that comes with its own app. The OBi100 telephone adaptor allows you to use Google Chat directly from a standard telephone handset.

If you don't want to be locked into a single vendors service, consider a SIP client like CounterPath Bria or X-Lite. These allow you to choose a service provider with the best features and price.

Finally, you might consider a dedicated SIP phone like the Yealink SIP-T22P or Polycom SoundPoint. By placing the phone near your computer, you can answer or dial from your computer and talk normally using the built-in speaker phone. While it might seem redundant to buy another piece of equipment when your Mac can act as a phone, your Mac is not that good a phone compared to what the best business phones have to offer.

Enjoy!

- Peter
psichel_adm
Site Admin

Return to Phone Amego